Senior Associate Solicitor
“Easy to get hold of and an excellent lawyer.” – Chambers & partners
Email: [email protected]
Main areas of practice: Unfair dismissal, Discrimination, HR issues, Negotiated exits and settlement agreements
SRA ID: 194525
About Lorna Valcin
I am a highly qualified, conscientious and dedicated solicitor with over 30 years’ experience in the legal field, the vast majority of which has been spent specialising in Employment and Immigration Law. Former partner of a national commercial firm of solicitors as Head of the Employment and Immigration team and currently working flexibly as a consultant solicitor. I am a Trainer and Programme Director for the UK’s leading legal training company providing legal training to other lawyers and have lectured in Employment Law on the CIPD course to HR professionals and Immigration law to Legal Executives of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives.
My background in law started as a legal secretary with no ambition to become a lawyer, but very soon I fell in love with the law and fell out of love of being a secretary!
I qualified through the non-traditional route of the Legal Executive which meant 9 years of part-time studying while working full-time in a firm of solicitors and then completing my Legal Practice course to qualify as a solicitor in 1998. This meant that by the time I qualified, I had already had 10 years’ experience in the legal field.
Throughout my career I have represented both employers and employees over many different sectors. I therefore have a good working understanding of the issues from both sides and a good insight into businesses which makes me a better lawyer to my employee clients.
Negotiated a settlement on a race and age discrimination claim against a major airline and achieved a 6-figure settlement for my clients in addition to reinstatement.
I, like all of my colleagues at Monaco solicitors, am passionate about getting justice for our clients and putting them in a position of power so that they can achieve the best result for them. I am particularly passionate about womens’ rights in the workplace. We are under-represented in the boardroom and we still suffer from a substantial pay gap and are often overlooked for promotion and career prospects. I have achieve despite those odds and I want to see others do the same.
Notable cases/Key achievements
- Invited by Kingston College to teach Employment Law on its CIPD course – June 2015
- Appointed Programme Director for Central Law Training in area of Employment Law – March 2013
- Invited by the Law Society to teach Employment Law on its Employment Law Course to other lawyers
- Appointed partner at Colemans-ctts LLP – 2010
- Invited to teach Employment Law on the AWS Returners’ Course
- Appointed Chair of the Association of Women Solicitors (AWS) (London Region)
- Legal Practice Course – July 1997 – ‘Commendation’ grade
- Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives – 1995
- Monaco Solicitors: Senior Associate Solicitor, January 2017 – ongoing.
- Campbell Chambers Solicitors: Employment Solicitor, December 2014 – Present
- Central Law Training: Programme Director, March 2013 – Present
- Compromise Agreements Ltd: Employment Solicitor, March 2013 – March 2014
- Colemans-ctts Solicitors: Solicitor then Partner, July 1997 – March 2013.
- Stephen Fidler & Co. Solicitors: Legal Executive (FILEX), 1994 – 1996.
- Bernard Oberman & Co. Solicitors: Legal Executive.
What our clients say…
Lorna immediately briefed me on the situation and spelled out clearly how the settlement agreement was rigged to my Employer’s favour. She took the pain away from me by dealing with them directly, re-drafting the settlement agreement and keeping me informed every step of the way throughout the negotiations. Thank you Lorna.” S in London
Lorna helped me with a case and because of her commitment and professional approach we got successful results. Lorna is very knowledgable and has good experience in her profession which allows her to build a sound argument in her presentation of the case. On the whole, I would recommend Lorna to anyone requiring legal services and wants a professional approach in managing the situation R. Ravichander
I can't praise Lorna and Monaco highly enough. Lorna was very honest and helpful when I was trying to work out the best option at a very difficult time. Plenty of advice before I instructed her and once instructed she was superb. She got me a significantly increased settlement and was well worth every penny. My only regret? I didn't instruct her sooner. Anonymous