Senior Employment Solicitor
Knowing that I've helped a client achieve a higher settlement figure gives me great satisfaction. I take a pragmatic approach to settlement agreements and understand that every person has different aims and requirements.
About Will Burrows
I have practised employment law exclusively for twelve years and I am able to draw upon my extensive experience to negotiate the best possible settlement for employees who find themselves confronted with the prospect of parting company with their employer.
My most recent cases in 2019 include:
- Acting in and then achieving settlement of a race discrimination case against an international bank for compensation of hundreds of thousands of pounds.
- Advising a senior Formula 1 professional in a six-figure settlement agreement.
- Advising a FTSE 100 director in respect of a settlement agreement amounting to hundreds of thousands of pounds in cash and shares.
- Pre-action settlement of a race discrimination and victimisation case for a white-collar professional for a substantial sum.
I have advised a wide-range of individuals in relation to their rights, including:
Members of Parliament
I have advised senior Members of Parliament in relation to extremely serious issues that were featured in the media for many months.
Senior and Chief Police Officers
I am the employment and equalities adviser to top-ranking police officers and regularly advise and act in litigation in the Employment Tribunal and the High Court for both police officers and their staff associations – the Police Superintendents’ Association and the Chief Police Officers’ Staff Association. I have advised chief constables, deputy chief constables, assistant chief constables, chief superintendents and superintendents from almost all forces in England and Wales as well as the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and the British Transport Police. I am often called upon to draft lengthy advice on matters of national importance. I was the primary adviser in the recent cases in the courts and stories in the media in relation to payments and benefits received by chief police officers. I litigated many cases for chief police officers and superintendents in both the Employment Tribunal and High Court, including cases of discrimination and challenges to government regulations.
I advised many journalists from the Sun Newspaper in relation to the very highly publicised multiple failed prosecutions for procuring misconduct in a public office by making payments to public officials in return for stories, known as Operatiosn Elveden and Wheeting.
White Collar Professionals
I represent many City lawyers, architects, accountants and IT professionals. I have litigated many cases on behalf of white – collar professionals in the Employment Tribunal and on appeal, for example Virgin Media v Seddington.
I have acted for many sports professionals and officials, mostly in an advisory capacity and in negotiations.
I have also advised large international companies which I believe lends a useful perspective when negotiating with HR Departments, in-house counsel and solicitors representing employers.
Settlement Agreements and Negotiations
I take a pragmatic approach to settlement agreements and understand that every person has different aims and requirements when leaving employment andthat achieving those aims allows employees to take the next positive step forward with their careers and their lives. I believe in working collaboratively withHR Departments wherever possible; however, I am not one to back down from a fight and will use all my experience and knowledge to ensure that the final offer is one that is right for my clients. I have achieved hundreds of settlements for employees, including those involving hundreds of thousands of pounds in compensation and have advised in negotiations and mediations resulting in individual settlements of over a million pounds.
I believe that these days litigation should be the last resort, especially given the cost of court and legal fees. However, I have enormous experience in litigating cases in both the Employment Tribunal and the High Court and have acted in some of the leading cases on discrimination, references and redundancy.
I have particular expertise in advising on discrimination claims, unfair (and constructive) dismissal, TUPE, redundancy (including collective redundancy), references and the viability and enforceability of post-termination restrictions, duties and obligations.
I attended the University of Manchester where I studied history before then studying law and taking my bar exams. I won the prize for advocacy in my graduating year.
Thereafter I went into practice in a solicitors’ office and have been practising as a solicitor having cross-qualified from the bar. I was appointed Head of Employment Law at 26 years old in charge of a department of five solicitors and made a partner at 33.
Notable cases/Key achievements
- Ashley v City Holdings plc  All ER (D) 204. – Race discrimination case in the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
- Virgin Media Limited v Seddington and Anor  All ER (D) 23. – Unfair dismissal and redundancy case in the Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal representing two high-earning employees against a large multinational organisation.
- Ankers and others v Clearsprings Management and 6 others  All ER (D) 261. – A leading TUPE case on fragmentation of contracts post TUPE.
- Police Superintendents Association of England and Wales and others v Chief Constable of Bedfordshire Police  EWHC 2173 (Admin). – The judicial review of the lawfulness of a chief constable forcing police officers to retire.
- The Queen on the Application of AB v A Chief Constable and AB v A Chief Constable  EWHC 1965 (QB). – Leading case on references and reference policies involving an employer altering an agreed reference after resignation.
- Chief Constable of West Midlands Police & Others v Harrod and others  IRLR 790. – High profile age discrimination case involving hundreds of police officers and millions of pounds in damages.
- Monaco Solicitors: Senior Associate Solicitor, 2015 - Present
- LHS Solicitors: Partner and Head of Employment Law, 2011 – 2015
- Canter Levin & Berg Solicitors: Head of Employment Law, 2007 – 2011
More about Will Burrows
I have practised employment law exclusively for over a decade and am able to draw upon my extensive experience to negotiate the best possible settlement for employees who find themselves confronted with the prospect of parting company with their employer. I have advised a wide-range of individuals in relation to their rights.
What our clients say…
"My final pay out was twice what had originally been offered"
My solicitor Will was helpful and straight forward to deal with. He provided clear advice and responded to my calls and emails promptly. He helped me to secure a favourable pay out from my employer through several rounds of patient negotiation. In the end my final pay out was twice what had originally been offered. Highly recommended.
"His professionalism gave me absolute confidence"
Monaco Solicitors was recommended to me by a friend. I had the pleasure of working with Will Burrows. I would like to highly recommend Will who dealt with my settlement very quickly. His professionalism gave me absolute confidence and he was always willing to take my calls and answer my emails.
"Couldn't have found a better advisor"
Will Burrows provided me with prompt advise and managed to facilitate a reasonable settlement with my last employer in no time. I was totally clueless as to what my rights were. Picked up Monaco after a Google search for employment solicitors and I am glad I picked Monaco. Couldn't have found a better advisor. I highly recommend Monaco, and particularly Will Burrows for settlement matters.
"The settlement was exactly what I had hoped for"
Will was really helpful, realistic and managed my expectations as to what he would consider a fair outcome. The whole experience with my former employer had been really stressful but it became so much easier when put into his hands. The settlement was exactly what I had hoped for.