Senior Employment Solicitor
I provide clear, pragmatic and timely advice, enabling you to move on with the best outcome and as smoothly as possible. I have also co-authored the book ‘Employment Law Practice: Strategies for Success.
About Harriet Bowtell
Being badly treated at work can be an incredibly difficult time making you feel isolated and at times vulnerable. I am passionate about making sure that people understand their employment rights and their options to try and resolve their situation. I am an expert in employment law with 17 years’ experience of helping individuals, and previously employers, with workplace issues.
I know that no single approach is the right one for every individual and so I am genuinely interested in the outcome you want to achieve and will help you build a road map to reach it. I provide clear, pragmatic and timely advice, enabling you to move on with the best outcome and as smoothly as possible.
I can help guide you through any process with your employer to find a resolution or if one can’t be reached, with a legal claim. However, I will always try and avoid litigation and the time, stress and cost which that can involve. Most situations do result in a settlement and I will therefore help you secure the best possible compensation package. I find a reasoned and measured approach whilst being tenacious and firm to be effective at resolving workplace disputes.
I have particular expertise in unfair dismissal and redundancy, negotiating exits (settlement agreements), discrimination (particularly pregnancy/maternity and sex discrimination) and post termination restrictive covenants. However, I can advise on any areas of employment law, including reviewing a new employment contract you may be entering into.
I have written many articles, given presentations and commentated in the media providing legal advice about employee rights at work on a variety of employment law issues. I am co-author of the book ‘Employment Law Practice: Strategies for Success’ published in September 2009. I am also a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and sit on their Training Committee.
Notable cases/Key achievements
- Achieving a settlement of a maternity/sex discrimination tribunal claim of several hundred thousand pounds for a female senior executive who was made redundant on return from maternity leave.
- Resolving by way of mediation a disability discrimination claim for a senior executive who was denied opportunities due to his medical condition, avoiding the stress of further litigation.
- Advising on hundreds of settlement agreements over many years often achieving a significantly better outcome for my client than the original offer made – with minimal time and fuss.
- Acting for a former senior executive of Chelsea Football club in both high court and employment tribunal proceedings following his dismissal, settling with a six figure sum.
- Winning a high court claim for breach of contract for a senior civil servant in relation to contractual redundancy pay entitlement.
- Monaco solicitors: Senior Associate Solicitor, June 2018 – Present
- Slater and Gordon Lawyers: Solicitor then Partner, September 2006 – June 2018
- DLA Piper: Professional Support Lawyer, 2005-2006
- Stephenson Harwood: trainee then solicitor, 1999 - 2004
More about Harriet Bowtell
Harriet cowrote this book
What our clients say…
"The team at Monaco solicitors is outstanding"
The team at Monaco solicitors is outstanding, from those picking up the first call to guide you to the best solicitor to the solicitor themselves, from their genuine care, level of empathy, second to none expertise and timeliness of service delivery, I am very grateful to all. This is the place I will keep returning to should I find myself in a similar unfortunate situation and in the meantime, will keep referring them around me. Thank you.