"I hope to bring some reassurance at such troubling times with a sympathetic ear and clear advice based upon extensive experience."
About Andy McGrath
I am a specialist employment barrister with more than 25 years’ experience of advising predominantly employees and also employers from the public and private sectors; including those in the financial services industry, local authorities, NHS trusts, charities and trade unions. I continue to practice from chambers and joined Monaco for the opportunity to focus on assisting employees in need. Having worked on both sides of employment disputes I have a good understanding of the factors which cause employment disputes and influence effective settlements. Having a litigation and negotiation background has enabled me to develop the necessary skills to ensure that all avenues are investigated in order to achieve a satisfactory settlement and, in particular to ensure that employees receive their full entitlement when their employment terminates.
Notable cases/Key achievements
- Bird v Stoke on Trent PCT - [UKEAT/0074/11] involving suitability of alternative employment in a redundancy case.
- Rustamova v Governing Body of Calder High School - [UKEAT/0592/11] a controversial case involving the misconduct dismissal of a teacher
- Matwiewich v North Staff NHS Trust (following success in her breach of contract claim in the County Court and having recovered over £57k in damages and costs against the Trust).
- April 2018 – Monaco Solicitors
- 1989 to present – Member of No5 Chambers
- 1985-1989 - Employed in local government
- 1983 - Called to the Bar